The release of SimaPro 8.2 includes the new ecoinvent v3.2 and an enhanced Industry data 2.0 library, as well as updates to impact assessment methods.
By Paula Bernstein, Consultant at PRé Sustainability
SimaPro version 8.2 has just been released. It includes the new ecoinvent databse v3.2 and a number of datasets from Plastics Europe have been added to the Industry Data 2.0 library. Additionally, several small updates were made to impact assessment methods. This is a summary of the most import updates. For a complete overview, please download the manual.
- Ecoinvent 3.2 database – includes more than 2,500 new and updated datasets
- Six new Plastics Europe datasets added to the Industry Data 2.0 library
- Several small changes to a number of methods including IPCC, ILCD, and Cumulative Exergy Demand
Integration of ecoinvent v3.2
Many new products and processes have been added to various categories of the ecoinvent database:
- Refrigerated transport
- European aluminum production
- Waste treatment
Ecoinvent has introduced a new type of dataset called market groups, which aggregate several common markets together (for example all US electricity).
Six new processes have been added:
- Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS)
- Expandable polystyrene (EPS), white and grey
- Polyvinyl chloride, from emulsion process, E-PVC
- Styrene acrylonitrile (SAN)
- Polyvinyl chloride, from suspension process, S-PVC
- Vinyl chloride monomer
- Several small changes to the IPCC methods, which will not significantly influence results
- In ILCD method several land use and land transformation flows were removed and characterization factors for biogenic emissions were changed. These correction were introduced to better align this implementation with the file published by JRC
- Two characterization factors added to Ecological Scarcity
- IPCC 2013 GWP 500a and Ecological Footprint moved to superceded and will no longer be supported
As always, we trust that the SimaPro 8.2 release offers you improved functionality and meets your (data) quality needs. If you haven’t received your personal update email yet, please update here